Old July 16th 05, 03:52 AM
daveo76

Default HEI Module

I was driving my '76 (L48, 4spd) home today and while accelerating from
a stop it cut out for a moment, and then came back to life. It is
running now, but backfiring a bit through the exhaust, and I can hear a
miss at around 2500 rpm. It was running great before the cut-out.
Judging from other posts I've read here, I think it's the ignition
module. I'm going to start there anyway because it's cheap and easy
and I've not done it in the four years I've had the car. I'll also
probably check the timing and take a look at the wires (I did replace
those and plugs, cap, rotor, etc. recently).

My question: is it worth it to spend the extra $$ for the performance,
after-market modules, or should I just go parts-store OEM? The engine
is basically stock except for a K&N filter and dual Magna-flow exhaust
(no cats).

Also, could these symptoms be caused by a toasted EGR valve - it's
still hooked up. What about the coil? Thanks,

Dave