Old August 23rd 06, 01:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jon B

Default Thacham Categories

Peter > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:19:40 +0100, Westy
> > wrote:
>
> >Thanks Peter - this page:
> >http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdf...gerCarCAT2.pdf
> >
> >confirms the standard fit immobiliser on my vehicle is indeed Thatcham
> >Cat 2.

> It doesn't matter, but that sounds odd to me: it means no alarm, just
> an immobiliser.
> http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdf...gerCarCAT1.pdf
> says A4, all models, from March 01on have a Category 1 system. Do you
> really only have an Audi Immobiliser (category 2) rather than Audi
> Security System I (category 1)? (Category 1 is better than category 2,
> so you meet your insurer's requirements either way.)
>
> As a matter of curiosity, which insurer is it? I'm a bit surprised
> that they didn't require category 1. Last time I used an insurer that
> needed me to check the category, they required me to have a category 1
> system. (I did - that was on a '98 BMW 3 Series.) When I bought my A4
> and switched to my present insurer, they didn't ask, presumably
> because they already knew what I had as standard and were satisfied
> with it.

The required category of alarm depends on the car being insured, how
desirable it is to thiefs, how often they go missing, and how strong the
factory system is, a lot of the latest subaru's for eg not only need
cat1 but tracker too, my Golf GTI just needed a cat2 fitted.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.