Old March 14th 05, 10:24 AM
Peter

Rear brake shoes can't possibly work. Front drums on Super Beetles have a
larger inner diameter and the shoes are also wider.

"Scott H" > wrote in message
om...
> "Joey Tribiani" wrote ...
> >
> > "Scott H" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Are they making a universal brake shoe for the Super Beetle that will

work
> > for both the front and rear?
> > > Or are the front and rear shoes always different?

> > Scott, most of the shoes available at a local shop are relined and even
> > years ago, it was becoming difficult to get fronts and rears....usually

they
> > only carried the rears,a nd they are somewhat "universal" in that the

spring
> > holes and wherre they meet the wheel cylinder/adjuster are the same
> > location....so they work just fine...i sold my 71sb in 92(i believe) and

it
> > had rear shoes on the front....(i had to ride all around town to get the
> > pathetic explanation from several that they don't get the fronts

returned
> > for cores as often as the rears, and that they concentrate on relining

the
> > rears which are "fine")

> Thanks for the reply, Chris.
>
> If the holes were in the *exact* same location, I wouldn't worry about it

..... but on these new ones the notch for the parking brake
> link is in the location where the spring holes are on the old shoes. The

holes that are there on the new shoes are just above that
> and are closer together, making me worry about the return spring length

and tension.

> I called a few non-VW FLAPS, hoping that they might have a front set in

stock that I could take a look at.
> No luck, of course. Pep Boys got my hopes up when they said they had a set

but when I got there it was a set for a standard Beetle.
> I think I'm just going to wait and clarify this with my VW parts place

tomorrow.