Old March 13th 05, 11:51 PM
Scott H

"Joey Tribiani" wrote ...

> "Scott H" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Are they making a universal brake shoe for the Super Beetle that will work

> for both the front and rear?
> > Or are the front and rear shoes always different?

> Scott, most of the shoes available at a local shop are relined and even
> years ago, it was becoming difficult to get fronts and rears....usually they
> only carried the rears,a nd they are somewhat "universal" in that the spring
> holes and wherre they meet the wheel cylinder/adjuster are the same
> location....so they work just fine...i sold my 71sb in 92(i believe) and it
> had rear shoes on the front....(i had to ride all around town to get the
> pathetic explanation from several that they don't get the fronts returned
> for cores as often as the rears, and that they concentrate on relining the
> rears which are "fine")

Thanks for the reply, Chris.

If the holes were in the *exact* same location, I wouldn't worry about it .... but on these new ones the notch for the parking brake
link is in the location where the spring holes are on the old shoes. The holes that are there on the new shoes are just above that
and are closer together, making me worry about the return spring length and tension.

I called a few non-VW FLAPS, hoping that they might have a front set in stock that I could take a look at.
No luck, of course. Pep Boys got my hopes up when they said they had a set but when I got there it was a set for a standard Beetle.
I think I'm just going to wait and clarify this with my VW parts place tomorrow.

Thanks again,

--
Scott