Old January 5th 05, 06:48 AM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Jonathan Grobe wrote:
>

>>My traditional view of frugal auto transportation has been to have two
>>beaters: (a small car I use most of the time and a larger vehicle for
>>hauling larger cargoes and for backup). I've given up on my small car (a
>>1984 Chrysler Laser with 265,000 miles and am considering what I should
>>buy next (I got the Laser about 6 years ago when it had 145,000 miles on
>>it). So taken everything into consideration (initial cost, repair costs,
>>insurance/license costs, gas costs...) what do you recommend as the type
>>(age, mileage, foreign vs domestic...) of vehicle to purchase?

> A Dodge Spirit or Plymouth Acclaim with non-turbo 4-cylinder engine and
> either automatic or (preferably but harder to find) manual transmission.
> They are much sturdier, more reliable and more durable than your '84 Laser
> was (and look how long you managed to make your Laser last!), with
> identically inexpensive parts/service/insurance costs. Gas mileage is high
> 20s to high 30s depending on equipment and driving conditions.You and/or
> your mechanic will already be familiar with Chrysler FWD cars, so there'll
> be no new learning curve. Thieves don't see them any more. Cops look right
> through them. They have good heaters, defoggers and air conditioners, and
> most of them came with cruise control. There are still plenty of low-miles
> examples around, especially if you're willing to travel for the right one.
> The '91-'93 models are the best. '94-'95 models have a less-safe
> (automatic motorized) right front seat belt, but are otherwise identically
> reliable and the motorized belt can easily be removed and replaced with
> the safer manual belt from a '91-'93 car. There's nothing really wrong
> with the '89-'90 cars, but the '91-up suspension is somewhat better.
>
> DS

I vote for an A2 chassis VW Golf or Jetta, base model, no power options.
The froofy stuff is crap on VWs but the basic mechanicals are solid
and easy to work on. I know DS will disagree with me vehemently, but I
have had excellent luck with them. Do try to find one in good condition
though, a "beater" can be more trouble than it's worth if the PO has let
everything go to hell. Beware of blown heater cores, there was a recall
on them but VWoA is a pain in the keister about it.

Alternately, I like the old A-body MoPars, you know, Dart, Valiant,
Duster, Demon, etc.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.