Old October 23rd 04, 05:42 AM
Matt B.

"VW Golf Cart" > wrote in message
> OK, I'm at my last nerve with this car!
>
> 1997 VW Golf K2 1.8l 5spd.
>
> Having Gas mileage issues, like only 200 kms a tank.
> Back fires a lot in the morning.
> Misfires mostly when cold, but occurs when warm as well.
> Hard time starting in the mornings, sometimes 2-3 trys.
> Really bad smell of unburnt fuel all the time.
> Bad hesitation.
>
> I've changed the TB to Intake Manifold gasket.
> Changed the Coolant Temperature Sensor.
> Changed the Plugs.
>
> What's my next step without causing me a small fortune.
>
> Wires, Cap, Rotor and fuel filter are about a year and a half old.
> Car has gutted cat (from previous owner).
> Has 227,xxx kms.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!

A 1.8? Not too familiar with those engines since we didn't get those in US
A3 VWs but IIRC those engines retained some form of Digifant injection
(similar to the A2s), no? If so, check/replace the fuel pressure regulator
on the end of the fuel rail. If the FPR is bad it allows too much fuel into
the engine.