Old August 19th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ron B.

Default Fan noise while towing - 2006 Explorer XLT

wrote:

> Howdy...
>
> I have a 2006 Explorer XLT V8 with the tow package
>
> I have noticed when towing up a long hill, there is what sounds like a
> 'second fan' that switches on after a while. I assume this has
> something to do with the transmission cooler.
>
> My issue is that the fan intermitently squeals. My Ford dealer says
> this is normal, but I have a hard time believing that becuase it's
> intermitent.
>
> I'm not sure how I can reproduce this for my dealer, as it only happens
> when I tow and only on long hills, There are no hills nearby..
>
> My questions a
>
> 1) Is this a 2nd fan coming on, or just the standard radiator fan
> spinnig up to a higher speed. It is far louder than the noise the
> engine makes when not towing. It sounds like turning the A/C fan on
> full, but of course, it's not the A/C fan
>
> 2) Is this squeal unavoidable? It sounds like a bad fan belt, but I'm
> not sure if these fans even have belts. The squeal is intermitent,
> which makes me feel like there's a problem.
>
> Again, my deal says they can't fix what they can't reproduce, and that
> there is no other fan that could be making the noise, and it's normal
> for the radiator fan to sound that loud when towing up a hill...
>
> The loudness isn't what bothers me. Just the intermitent squeal...
>
> Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Best,
>
> Benjamin a

You are lucky, I have been to two Ford and two Lincoln dealers and also
talked to a tech on Ford's factory hot line and was told this is normal.
I have the same fan clutch as in your 06 and mine sounds like a jet
aircraft when starting out in the morning, it will go away in about 30
seconds and this is on a cold engine. Lately our temps have been in the
high 90's to over a 100 degrees and that fan just drives me nuts. My
neighbor has a Chevy 4X4 SUV and it makes the same noise only louder.
The new engines run hotter and need larger fans and fan clutches.

Ron