Old July 22nd 05, 02:49 PM
Ted B.

> wrote in message
>I does mean get ready to go and once you have passed your test there is no
>need to have the emergency brake while seating at traffic lights and 99% of
>people do not do this.
>
> I loved the comment about since most cars are manual, it amazes how many
> america drivers take forever to move when the light turns green and the
> intersection is clear and I know that they are driving an automatic. I
> think this why it takes two tries to get through traffic lights and it
> does not help that 99% of the roadways use traffic lights and stop signs.

Well, the automatic tranny doesn't help much. A manual tranny will clear an
intersection (from a dead stop) faster, every time, unless the driver is
totally incompetent. I agree that there are way too many traffic lights and
stop signs over here. One stop sign in particular that I hit every day on
the way home is ultra annoying. It's on a 50MPH road that merges into a
55MPH road, running roughly parallel in the same direction. Traffic on BOTH
roads is doing about 60MPH (usually), and traffic approaching the merge
point can see traffic approaching on the other roadway for a good half mile.
So you go 60MPH approaching merge point, see that there is NO TRAFFIC ON THE
OTHER ROAD, come to a complete stop, see that THERE IS STILL NO TRAFFIC ON
THE OTHER ROAD, then accelerate back to 60MPH. Talk about a waste of time
and fuel. And people wonder why pollution is such a huge problem. -Dave