Old August 14th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pop`

Default Replace V belt on Sears Riding lawn mower

sunshine wrote:
> We have a new Sears riding lawn tractor that has been broken down more
> than it's worked since we bought it.
>
> first they had to replace the engine (they said) because "someone" put
> the air filter in wrong and the engine locked up. Then the battery
> died. They replaced it with a new one. It died because "someone"
> forgot to hook up a wire so the battery didn't recharge.
> The next time we tried to cut grass the same thing happened again and
> the battery was dead. (They can't even be jump started) so they came
> out, replaced the battery again and said it was because a DIFFERENT
> wire wasn't hooked up.
>
> we cut grass for about an hour after that and the blades stopped
> turning. the belt is off the pulley and has a big chunk gone out of
> it, so it will have to be replaced.
>
> It's probably still under waranty, but unless it's a really difficult
> job, I'd as soon buy the part and fix it myself as wait around another
> week or two before they come out and "fix" it. Meanwhile the grass is
> getting higher and higher.
>
> anyone know how to replace the belt?
>
> Thanks

It's pretty easy, really, and you're right about figuring out how to do it
yourself. Sears store employees assemble those things and don't have the
foggiest notion about what they're doing.

First, if you didn't get a parts list (you should have with a Sears), go to
their web site; they have parts lists, especially for the newer models such
as you have. There you'll find information in one of the sketches that
shows how/where the belt has to be routed.
Then go to Sears Repair with the old belt and part number, and get a new
one. Before you leave the store, compare the old to the new to be certain
it's the right one.

I doubt anyone can tell you exactly how to replace the belt without your
brand and model number (eg Craftsman 20 hp xxx... and so on. Since it's
new, if you look, there is most likely a decal on the mower deck showing the
belt routing so if you understand that, you might be all set.

Loosen the keepers at the drive pulley, pull the belt down and off. You
might have to disconnect one side of the mower deck to slide the belt out;
it depends. Reverse everything to put the new belt in, put the belt keepers
back EXACTLY per the spec, and you're done. With the belt under stress
(engaged and in gear but tractor not running) the guides should not touch
the guides. Disengaged, they will touch them; that's what keeps them from
falling off.
Watch out for idler wheels and make sure the belt's on the correct side
of them.
That's why you need the manual. YOu should already have one; if not, go
to their site and get it.

Pop