Old August 3rd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steven Hilgendorf

Default Location of Fan Blower Resistor

On the 1998 Mountaineer the Blower Motor Switch Resistor, if that's what
you're referring to:

The heater blower motor switch resistor has the following features:

1. - The assembly is located on the evaporator housing in the engine
compartment.

2. - Three resistance elements are mounted on the resistor board to
provide four blower motor speeds.

3. - Depending on the heater blower motor switch position, series
resistance is added or bypassed in the blower motor circuit to decrease
or increase blower motor speed.

4. - An overheating protective device (thermal limiter) will open the
resistor coil circuit when the temperature reaches 121ºC (250ºF)
interrupting the blower motor operation in all speeds except HI.

5. - The thermal limiter cannot be reset and is not serviceable.

Good luck,

Steven