Old July 8th 05, 07:40 PM
Dr. Boggis

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> Fellas, if you're on line, may I please ask a few more last minutes
> questions about this 86 Spider Veloce that I'm about to purchase here
> in Arizona.

> 1. I notice that when I drive the car and go over a speed bump, the
> front shocks or suspension is pretty rough. He said that the rubber
> engine mounts were replaced so I'm guessing it's some other part of the
> suspension system. Pretty normal? Expensive to fix if I really had to
> do it?

Might need new/replaced shocks, but a lot of people do this anyway for
performance enhancement. A lot of people like the Koni red shocks, think
you can get a set for about $400 and fitting is easy (this is something
I'd like to do on my Spider in the future).

> 2. The transmission seems to be pretty good but I do notice that going
> from Neutral to 1st there is a slight grinding. When I go from N to
> 2nd and then to 1st it seems to be ok. I think I remember years ago a
> standard transmission that I had was similar. Is this something I
> should worry about? Expensive to fix if I really had to? What does a
> new tranny cost for this car and can I even get one if I really had to?

Nothing to worry about. The syncros in Spider gearboxes are notoriously
weak. To get into 1st without a grind, most people just touch the top of
4th before going into 1st (you can do it with 2nd, but the synchros on
4th are probably stronger). When shifting from 1st into 2nd, it's common
to get a bit of grinding too - just take your time with that shift, or
double-declutch.

> 3. This may be normal for all (older) sports cars but I sense a certain
> amount of "fumes" .. maybe gas, maybe oil don't know . when I drive the
> car. Is this probably ok?

Probably OK, certainly very common. Check vacuum/vapour return lines,
fuel lines (old rubber may be worn/leaking), and the seal around the
trunk lid.

In short, you sound like you're already in love, and from what you've
described, the car sounds like a good one - so I'd go for it!
--
-Take out Ron to reply-
GT4 stats: Day 500; 40.9% Complete; 12178 A-Spec pts; 29G, 15S, 36B