Old April 5th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Rebuildable Rabbit Front Strut Bearings

I don't know about that. It may be just that the US ones were made here, so
they were different. I,d accept whatever the parts store had . but I think
I'd want the easiest ones to get the nut off, ,which seems to be the
external ones. I would want the later pigtail springs because they lasted
longer. But I,d take the ones that match the upper mounts. Because I never
found any anywhere except a junk yard. If you're worried about rust and
getting them apart again in 5 years, Then I,d put antiseize compound on the
nut threads too. Also don't forget your plastic caps and the snubbers. The
plastic caps are there to keep the dirt off your chrome piston and keep it
from getting inside the strut and damaging the seal when your strut moves up
and down. The snubbers keep your suspension from bottoming out and breaking
something. If you leave these off you will need struts long before the rust
gets to them .I wouldn't be surprised if people who say their struts were
crap, left these off. Logically you could say that the internal threads
should last longer as they aren't exposed to salt spray. But they rot just
as fast inside as out unless you fill them with old engine oil or gear lube.
And the external nuts seem easier to get out if it has to be destructed.
ink.com...