Old April 3rd 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Rebuildable Rabbit Front Strut Bearings

I've just acquired a pair of the old-style A1 strut bearings (the kind
that came on the 75 and 76 rabbits, I believe). I'm getting ready to
redo the suspension on my 84 rabbit. But I've just been told
that early rabbit springs were slightly different that later rabbit
springs. Specifically, I heard that the later rabbit springs were
smaller at the ends. The person I was talking to said that if I was
intending to use the older style strut bearings on my '84 rabbit, then
when I purchased replacement oem springs, I needed to be sure that I
ordered oem springs for one of these early rabbits. OEM springs for an
'84 rabbit won't work on the earlier bearings, he said. Can somebody
please confirm/deny this?

Thanks,
Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email