Old March 18th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Question about motor swap in a 1987 GTI

Ben Dixon > wrote:
> Hey how hard would it be to put a 16V motor in a 1987 GTI? Would it entail
> more then just swapping out the brain? thanks, ben

It probably wouldn't be too bad. You should replace both the knock sensor
control unit and the ke-jetronic computer with one from a 16V. You will
need to replace the engine (duh), alternator, distributor, intake and
exhaust manifolds. You'll also need to make sure you have the right
clutch components (I think a straight 16V clutch will work with the 8V
tranny). Water pump is probably the same, starter is definitely the same.
Not sure about A/C compressor. The ISV is the same but its mounting is a
little different. I don't know about the plastic intake tube or some of
the hoses (PCV, evap, etc). Probably you will be fine as long as you get
them from the donor vehicle, but you might not need them. Also,
the Scirocco intake manifold will not work because the intake is on the
wrong side.

This assumes you are going with the PL motor. Honestly though, a 1.8l 8V
with a cam and an exhaust would probably be comparable to a stock 16V, so
its probably only worth it if you are switching to a worked over 2L 16V.
otherwise, it may be worth going with a ABA block, which is a pretty
simple swap (it bolts right up, just have to make sure you are using the
right head gasket, timing belt, etc) and you will need an Audi 80
distributor (or you will need to modify your current one.

The 9A (2L 16V) motor can probably be run off KE-Jetronic injection/ignition.
As far as I know, as long as you are sticking with the KE-Jet
injection/ignition system the 9A motor, distributor, alternator, etc,
should drop in identically to the PL.