Old December 1st 04, 04:37 AM
Rick DeBay

In article >, Jeff Strickland says...

[snip]

>The report made no mention that I can recall of civilian drivers having
>these issues. This doesn't mean civililan drivers haven't had them, but it
>is possible that the trouble is related to the police spec that the cars are
>built to.

[snip]

One civilian driver did state he experienced the problem, but it was not
verified by a BMW mechanic:
'Few days ago with Krefeld. Volker A. is with its BWM 525 Touring, type E 39, on
the way. After a vollbremsung ESP and DSC switch off. The flares do not go out.
Volker A. tells: "I was forced to make a vollbremsung with this vehicle, and
there I had to brake up to the stop. And all warning lamps are sudden in the
system on and remain also on, those do not go out thus. Now I looked up times
degrees in the manual, and there there is simply a reference that the brake is,
but the systems evenly no more, and one from the BMW service examined to have
that normally still functioned."'

The problem was fixed on the police cars with a software update, but no recall
is planned.