Old May 6th 05, 04:31 PM
Steve Blankenship

"schooner" > wrote in message
news2Jee.27241$0X6.16704@edtnps90...
>> "Tim Epstein" > wrote in message
>> . uk...
> >
>> "Maybe the powers that be in the commercial gaming world should be

lobbied
>> introduce a new business model for racing sims: forget the standard shop
>> price for sims and charge at least $100 per title and more for additional
>> tracks and cars. I would even go so far as to suggest charging for online
>> racing."

> Big risk for little payoff. Reality is why bother. The niche is small

and
> very hard to win over. it is much easier to make a mass market arcade

title
> for a console. Even if it does poorly it will still outsell a pure sim in
> volume.
>
> But with that said you basically just stated what FIRSTRACING is planning

> do, charge for online racing. So far the concept has had a cold reception
> at best.

Niche size hasn't deterred a number of dedicated sim developers in the past,
though the big publishers like Sony, MS and EA have tended to steer clear of
it. The thing is that right now the guys who want to play in the sim market
are trying to find a business model that works better than what they've used
before. You either go at it by reducing development/marketing/distribution
expenses ala LFS or NetKar Pro, cutting out the publisher ala ISI/rFactor
(no more EA), cutting or amortizing dev costs through engine licensing (ISI
again, with the likes of SimBin and EA/Tiburon on the other side of the
deal), or you try to recoup through other ways, pay to play being just one
possibility. FWIW, monthly fees don't seem to have held Everquest sales
back too much. And First are not the only ones looking at that model; the
latest RaceMore service for GTR is a first step in that direction too. And
I may be wrong, but the virtual car companies and showrooms for rFactor just
positively smell of extra-cost add-ons. Similar to the expansion packs
talked about on the West Racing site for Racing Legends.

Can't say I'm too thrilled about the idea of having to choose which
service(s) to give my limited discretionary toy funds to, but no-charge
online racing is not going away anyway. The thing for people to remember
about pay to play is that for it to be saleable for the providers, it has to
offer added value to the consumers (us). Meaning it has to be more and/or
better than what you can and have gotten for free, or rather as part of the
deal with your one-time purchase price. For example, SimBin's Diego Sartori
just noted the other day on RSC that the only things RaceMore might charge
for would be over and above the current offerings. Added value.

Bottom line, if you want more than you've gotten from online racing in the
past, you have to be willing to ante up. If you don't, there will still be
options for you - and they will keep the new niche players in check
pricewise through competition.

Heck; I just now see RBR has been added to VROC. No charge... ;-)

SB