Old December 23rd 04, 04:57 AM
Pat Moore

Default 85 Jetta still leaking

I redid the plastic liners on the two rear doors on my 85 Jetta GL with
6-mil plastic and 3-M weatherstrip putty. I dried the bottoms of the door
panels with a heat gun and put duct tape on the chewed up cardboard and
closed everything back up.

I was very careful to fully seal the door openings with plastic, cutting
only small slits for the crank handle and a minimum cutout for the inside
door handle.

I thought I'd solved the problem of leaking into the rear set wells. Not so.
As nearly as I can tell, my fix accomplished nothing. The first time I drove
it in the rain, I had another half-inch of standing water in the back seat,
and soaking wet door panel bottoms.

Any idea what to try next? I live in Juneau, Alaska now, and I either have
to solve this problem or take the car to Arizona, dry it out, and sell it in
a dry climate.

BTW, I also have a half-inch of standing water in the trunk.

Pat Moore
(85 Jetta GL Auto AC)