Old July 15th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
lolo

Default Volvo 240 (1990) running hot - flushed coolant, but???

the more I have been thinking about this (don't have time to work on
car during the week because of stupid work), it has to be air in there.
The expansion tank (i even figured out what that's called) hose enters
the radiator in the middle (from top to bottom), so it only makes
sense that there would be a LOT of air trapped in there, since the only
place it would have been able to escape would have been the top
radiator hose. I will burp it later, and I'm sure it's gonna be fine.
I've been driving it, and under normal condition the temp. is perfect -
no false readings from the gauge - fan clutch still seems fine, so if
burping don't fix it, I drive the car off a cliff and everything is
settled!

thanks to everyone who gave me ideas and good advice!