Old July 9th 05, 09:47 AM
John Birrell

Default Petrol Fumes

Hi All,
I regularly get petrol fumes inside my beetle ( 1973 1200cc) ...always when
I fill about a 1/3 tank or over, and also going on and off round-abouts. I
assume there must be a leak in the tank but I can't see any evidence. There
is no smell of fumes from under the bonnet or the boot lids - only inside
the car.
Is it possible that there are problems with blocked breather vents or
filler caps or should I just bite the bullet and remove the tank?
BTW. the fumes are only present when driving, not when parked up or in
stationary traffic.

Thanks for any help.
John