Old June 9th 05, 12:27 AM
Jim Yanik

(Brent P) wrote in
:

> In article >, Jim Yanik
> wrote:

(Brent P) wrote in
>> :

>>> Hell if I know. It's a tax.

>> Thanks for admitting it.

> Yes I admit that taxation is often not logical.

That is not what you wrote.Your words;"It's a tax." referrring to license
plate "renewals".

Your registration does not wear out,fade away,or change over time,so the
only reason for "renewal" is a *user fee*,no other reason.

It may be small,but applied to millions of autos per state,it adds up to a
nice piece of change.

>>> Why am I forced into social security?

>>> And for what IL charges on registration, it doesn't make sense as a
>>> user fee.

>> Much of what gov't does does not make sense.

> BINGO. hence it's not a user fee just because it has to be paid every
> years.

Sure it is a user fee;the "renewal" sticker is your tax stamp,just like on
cigarette packs.

>>> Why do I have to pay $10 and have my driver's license renewed every
>>> 4 years?

>> Check your eyesight and have a new picture taken.
>> Licenses do wear out,or need updating.(Not so for your lic.plate.)
>> Maybe get you to pay any outstanding parking tickets,too.

> I've seen beaten up and worn license plates.

Sure,due to bumping into things,and here in the South,even fading.
But not common enough to necessitate "renewal" EVERY YEAR.

Florida sends me a new plate with a new number every 5 years,IIRC.
One nice thing is that if your FL.plate gets damaged in a collision or
stolen,you can get a new plate FREE.You need a police report reference
number,though.Oh,and the yearly FL plate "renewal" fees go to the county
TAX COLLECTOR.

>>> Are you going to say that's a 'user fee' too?

>> In a way,yes.You are licensed -to use- a motor vehicle even if it is
>> not registered to you,like a rental,or another person's licensed
>> auto. Note that you need no driver's license if you operate
>> off-road,on private property.Same for lic.plates and registration.

> If government could figure out a way to tax it and control it on
> private property, they would.

No,because it doesn't affect anyone in the public venue.

> You are simply pointing out a
> constitutional issue, and confusing it with paying-for-roads.

No,you simply refuse to acknowledge the obvious.
License plate fees ARE a "user fee";for the *license to USE* the vehicle on
public roads.(state permission)
I suspect that if this were not part of the argument about licensing
bicycles for road use,you'd have admitted it to be a user fee long ago.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik