Old April 30th 06, 02:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default '94 530i Oil Change Questions

> wrote
>I recently purchased a '94 530i and its time for an oil change. The
> problem is that I have no idea what oil to use. I've looked through
> the manual and it seems to recommend 15w-50. Now my car has a little
> over 140k miles on it so I would like to use what's best. If it
> matters, I live in Georgia so it gets fairly warm here in the summer.
>
> Thanks for your help and sorry for such a novice question.

15W-50 is a pretty thick oil - probably just right for hot weather.
Almost any oil that meets the specs for that year will work. It's
some two-letter combination like "SF", "SG". Every few years
it move up; current specs are "SJ" IIRC. Almost every can of oil
sold currently is SJ or better.

BMW's come from the factory with a Castrol OEM oil. I use
Mobil 1; however current cars use only synthetics and you
should probably use a regular dino (non-synthetic) oil. If you
change oil regularly, along with the filter, the brand shouldn't
matter.

FloydR