Old July 16th 05, 03:13 AM
James C. Reeves

"C. E. White" > wrote in message
news:2OYBe.178129$xm3.68157@attbi_s21...

> "N8N" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>> A lot *fewer* people have been buying GM recently than has been the
>> case in the past, that's a fact.

> Check your facts.
>
> From
> http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/0...701video3.html
>
> GM Sales At 19-Year High
> Annalisa Burgos, 07.01.05, 5:35 PM ET
>
> NEW YORK - In the headlines this afternoon, General Motors' U.S. sales
> last month hit its highest level in nearly 19 years.
> -----------------------

Uhm, the operative words here are "last month". The "employee discount"
marketing campaign was genius and produced a 41% anomoly. A anomoly does
not a trend make. All months in 2005 prior to June had year-over-year sales
number declines.

> From
> http://www.gm.com/company/investor_i...ighlights.html
>
> GM Worlwide Sales (Units)
> 1996 - 8,400,000
> 1997 - 8,776,000
> 1998 - 8,024,000
> 1999 - 8,786,000
> 2000 - 8,746,000
> 2001 - 8.073,000
> 2002 - 8,411,000
> 2003 - 8,098,000
> 2004 - 8,241,000
>
> Ed

I see that 2004 was a improvement over 2003, 2001, and 1998. It fell short
compared to 2002, 2000, 1999, 1997 & 1996. If one were to graph these
numbers into a trend line (the 1996 to 2004 numbers), it would be a
declining trend. Up until June (which is the month of the employee discount
campaign) 2005 sales were off 2004 levels substantially. I understand the
41% pop in June brought them close to 2004 levels now.