Old January 18th 05, 02:46 AM
Jim Warman

I have yet to see a source for any internal parts for the auto hubs. Driving
with the manual hubs locked in but the transfer case in 2WD isn't harmful.
Before my current SuperCrew, it was the norm in my house to lock in the hubs
when winter came and rarely unlock them until spring. Gas mileage takes a
bit of a hit but if I were worried about gas mileage, I sure wouldn't have a
4X4 much less a truck. The oil pump in the transfer case is turned by the
rear output shaft so there is no danger of lack of lube. One caveate.... if
you have any loose u-joints in the front driveline, be they axle joints or
driveshaft joints, they WILL beat themselves to an earlier than expected
death.

Not to tell you how to run your house (but its coming, anyway...).... Mrs
mechanic knows EXACTLY how the scene will play out if she doesn't pay
attention to the instrument cluster and what it is trying to tell her on a
regular basis. We tend to give our cars pet names and "personalities" (that
may be true to a point but it has little to do with relationships),
forgetting that they are machines... machines with lights, guages, dipsticks
and sight plugs that need to be looked at...

"Ulysses" > wrote in message
> Has anyone sucessfully managed to repair the autohubs on the early

Explorer