Old January 18th 05, 04:24 PM
fbloogyudsr

"C. E. White" > wrote
> fbloogyudsr wrote:
>> Looks like your patience got you through. But, the fact is
>> that if you had had snows (even if just on the rears of your RWD
>> cars), you would have had a much easier time of it.

> Maybe, but from what I have seen, snow tires don't help all
> that much on ice. I suppose if I lived in a place where you
> had snow on the ground 100 days a year, I'd buy snow tires
> as well. I can't see doing it for 5 days a year (well 14
> days one year).

While studded snow tires (illegal in many states, as well
as most European countries) are the best option on ice,
most modern studless snow tires have design elements
that make them almost as good on ice (assuming the driver
doesn't make the mistake of using too much gas - the most
common mistake). Even the old "sawdust" tires from the
50's/60's were better. The new designs and sawdust tires
depend upon forming multiple suction cups to increase
traction.

Floyd