Old March 15th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 92 acclaim check engine light goes on & off with radio or heater

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, dutchie26 wrote:

> I swapped out the battery with the newer battery from my vehicle ( less
> than 6 months old). I also cleaned the battery cable terminals.

All *three* of them?

> With the car idling the alternator/battery gauge sits at 3/4. when I
> turn on the heater it drops to less than 1/4 and the check gauges light
> comes on. The next time I do it it stays at 3/4 and no check gauges
> light. If I keep monkeying around turning on the high beams or the
> heater it will at some point drop down to less than 1/4 and the check
> gauges light comes on again. The problem does not seem to be consistent.

Intermittent problems are always fun to diagnose. Remember to *test and
diagnose*, not just throw parts at the problem.

> Tomorrow I will take the alternator in to be tested.

Have it tested at an auto electrical house -- a starter/alternator place
-- not at the parts store.