Old October 28th 04, 12:52 AM
Chopface

jim beam wrote:
> sometimes the set ring can be real tight. unless the pinion in the diff
> has been damaged by being driven without being seated properly, a good
> sharp whack /is/ the way to make it slide fully home. and make sure the
> seal's ok now you've run it in this condition too.
>
> Chopface wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been having great difficulty correctly installing a reman.
>> driveshaft (Cardone #60-4003) on the driver's side of my '91 Civic Si.
>> When I install the driveshaft in the transmission it locks into place,
>> but it is not all the way in. It leaks oil. I replaced the passenger's
>> side driveshaft at the same time and that one went in without a hitch
>> and is not leaking at all.
>>
>> I remember what the clearances between the driveshafts and the
>> transmission looked like before I began the work. The clearances
>> looked identical on both sides.Now there is a noticeable gap on the
>> driver's side, but the passenger side looks completely normal. I have
>> some pictures I took with a digital camera showing the clearances, but
>> have no where to post them.
>>
>> I have taken a shaft around to shops for comparison to other units and
>> they appear to be identical, so I don't think I got a bad shaft. I
>> have new transmission seals I am going to install, but I doubt this is
>> the cause of this problem. An aquaintance said he had a driveshaft
>> come out of his transmission while driving and he "pounded it in" and
>> that he has put another 50k on the car and it is doing fine. I am
>> hesitant to beat on the shaft, but have been wasting a lot of time and
>> energy on this and am starting to think maybe I do need to force it in
>> further.
>>
>> Could the transmission some how be at fault for not allowing the shaft
>> in all the way? I somehow wedged my head under my car so I could look
>> in the tranny where the driveshaft is inserted with a flashlight, but
>> couldn't see any obvious problems. A 'service advisor' at the local
>> dealer I spoke to on the phone couldn't really think of how the tranny
>> would be at fault. Do old retaining clips get hung up inside? I am
>> really stuck on this, and for a while suspected I had a bad shaft
>> (wrong application). I may have to relinquish this to a repair shop or
>> a dealer.
>>
>> Any ideas are greatly appreciated,
>>
>> Mark

Should I apply the force on the outter edge of the metal cylinder that
is part of the inboard joint? I can envision making a piece of wood with
a slot that could apply the force at two points on the circumference. I
would probably put something smooth and soft between the boot (covering
the edge of the cylinder) and the wood. The piece would look like this:

--------------------|
| <-----------------------
| <---space for shaft |
|___________ |--- force applying area
| |

I am guessing pounding on the wheel end of the shaft could be hard on
the outboard joint. Any criticism or other ideas?

Much thanks for the advice so far,

Mark