Old June 10th 04, 07:07 AM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, iowna156
@alfa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:43:51 GMT, Catman >,
> wrote:
>
> >> And the Saab has it's own problems with heat from the turbo reducing
> >> wiring insulation close by to the consistency of candle wax after 20
> >> years of being slowly grilled everyday.

> >heh. Quite fancy one of them one day

> Sounds as much fun as deep fried Bounty Bars :-)

Oh the slowly grilled wiring is a minor prolem, and has taken 20 years
to surface.

the biggest worry is that if you start to lose turbo boost, is pis
probably vacuum hose related, and there is abour 4 miles of vac hose in
three different sizes under the bonnet, plus more under the dash. Under
the bonnet it detects boost levels, controls fuel pressure, feeds the
brake servo, and operates the cruise control. It also connects to an
accumulator that feeds under the dash.

Under the dash there is a load more hoses that connect to the overboost
regulator/fuel cut, and the APC boost boost detector (the APC is an
electrical boost control that can be tweaked somewhat and reads boost
and also detects knock), plus the Turbo boost guage, and the heater
controls whose servos are vacuum operated) and the controls for the
cruise control.

And if anyone of those hoses develops a leak, you lose boost, the old
black rubber ones would go brittle age and contamination, and sometimes
a leak would develop that closed when warm.

I've gotten most of them fixed now, but the cruise doesn't work, but it
appears to be electrical rather than VAC related, so I may need to
locate a new indicator/cruise stalk to try that.

--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)