Old May 2nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1990 Jeep Cherokee LTD no start/no spark

spydey wrote:

> It's brand new and the connection is good

My 88 has a ballast resistor on the fuel pump. I was told if this
doesn't work, the computer won't send a spark. Maybe the connection got
knocked?

The resistor is out on the driver's side fender on ours and is a ceramic
rectangle type.

Does the distributor have a ground? I have seen rust interfere with a
distributor signal.

There might be one other computer control ground on the inside firewall
just above the gas pedal. I am not sure what that one runs, but the
engine won't go without it. The YJ's ground the fuel pump in that area,
don't know about the Cherokee.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's