Old June 23rd 05, 10:40 PM
Bill Putney

Steve wrote:
> ...One of
> the big issues with bringing back the Hemi head was keeping emissions
> under control. The original Hemi had a lot of trouble both with NOx
> (from high compression) and HC (from the fact that parts of the chamber
> tended to be shrouded until the piston had moved down a significant
> distance). The new Hemi head addressed both of those issues very well.

Hmmm. There has been periodic discussion on the 300M Club forums over
the years in which it was convincingly claimed that many engines,
including the LH engines (3.2, 3.5, possibly the 2.7), are no less
hemi-head engines than ones that are "officially" designated by DC as
Hemi's. (Kind of reminds me of the Oldsmobile "Rocket V-8" debacle
wherein Oldsmobile got in legal trouble for substituting non-"Rocket"
engines in their cars when they temporarily ran out of them on the assy.
line, and the only difference between them and the non-"Rocket" GM
engines was a larger oil filter and a "Rocket V-8" decal. But I digress...)

What say you (and others in the know) on that claim?

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')