Old April 17th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Gasoline with Ethanol

> Jeep says not to use any mix of any amount no matter how many drying
> agents they say they put in.
>
> The owners manual calls it 'gasohol' or a 90% unleded with 10% ethanol.
> It also states to not use any mixes with methanol.
>
> My CJ's 258 bogs down for power on the 10% mix and my mileage goes from
> 350 miles per tank to less than 250 miles per tank. I have been 'stuck'
> in an area on holidays a few times where all that's available is the
> mix.

Must not be able to drive in most of the Midwest then.

I don't know about all states, but I know that in Iowa, Minnesota, and
Wisconsin all gas is E-10. I think both Dakotas are as well as Indiana
and Illinois.

E-10 does give lower gas mileage. Now that MTBE has been banned, I
don't think you will have much other choice however. I think all fuel
will be at least E-10 within the next few months(I have heard, but I
dont' remember off hand).

If your car is old enough, you can advance your timing a few(3-4)
degrees and gain most of the mileage losses back. Depending on your
car and driving style.

JW