Old July 4th 05, 06:01 PM
Brent

Default 95 Wrangler 2.5L overheated badly (long)

A 95 Wrangler with the 2.5L was brought to me for repair after it was badly
overheated.

I noted these things during disassembly/diagnosis:
-radiator leaking badly
-coolant in cylinders 1,2,&3
-#2 head bolt loose
-looks like valve cover was off before, maybe the head too

I sent the head to the machine shop for crack detection, and resurfacing.
(I should have asked to have the valves/seats checked also but we'll get to
that in a bit)

Head came back with no cracks, but it had to be milled .014" to get it true.
Machine shop says this is in spec. Ok, sound like alot, especially for
something with a non adjustable valvetrain.

I reassembled everything and started the engine. It runs horrible. I pull
the plugs, and #2 isn't running. Compression test shows #1 - 90psi, #2 -
25psi, #3 - 125psi, #4 - 150psi. Leak down test shows all four intake
valves leaking badly. I loosen the rocker arms and the leaks decrease a
little.

Head comes back off and I find that the intake valves are badly warped. I
can see light. Lightly lapping the valves reveals the high spots.

On top of all that, the fresh oil I just put in looks funny. There are
pools of it in the rockers and it looks badly aerated or like its mixed with
something. The cooling system was filled with straight water and no
thermostat or radiator cap. The engine ran several times for a total of
approx 6 mins.

The head will be sent to the machine shop to repair the leaking valves.

Questions:
- Are there valve train shims available? ( it seems like the head has been
cut too far and the valves are being held open)

- what is going on with the oil? What can I do to diagnose this?

Regards,
Brent