Old January 13th 05, 06:17 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

rides_twins wrote:
> Please help!
>
> I wanted to buy a "new" vehicle from a dealer out of state because I
> won't have to pay sales tax. But I was told that I would have to pay
> the tax once I register the vehicle in my home state (CA -

California).
> Does anyone know if this is true

Yes, it is.

> or if there is a way to get around having to pay the full taxes?

Well, there's outright fraud ...

> I know when you buy used, a lot of people just write the purchase

price
> really low. But how does the DMV check on these things?

Some don't. They'll just assess you tax on the 'book' value or the
stated amount, whichever is greater. Others will inquire if the deal
looks 'fishy' to them. So then, you're looking at bank inquiries as
well as some additional outright fraud by both you and the seller (IOW,
you'll both have to do a little more lying to get out of it - and have
the bank records to support your lies.). Any dealership that would do
this is even dumber than you are for wanting to try it.

If you get caught, it's a theft offense. If it is a second theft
offense, in most states, it's also a felony. Even if it's only your
first, a conviction *must* be disclosed for future employment (unless
you want to try for *more* fraud). How many employers, given the
choice, will hire a known thief? You would be flatly prohibited by law
from employment or licensure in many fields. Considering all the
potential penalties, it's not really worth the bother and the few bucks
you might save.

Consider, too, what happens if you 'total' the car soon after purchase.
Do you think an insurance company is going to pay you the *book* value
or the actual stated *purchase price* that shows up in the state
records? See? There's more than one way to screw a moron.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; won't do that)