Old July 21st 05, 06:42 AM
Vishal Pahuja

Default hydrocarbon in the coolant v/s pressure test

To cut my long story short, I had a overheated Honda Civic 95, that had
its "Check Engine" light come on
and also some *white smoke* from under the hood. I got the car checked
at one car place, lets call this
place A, and they checked for Hydrocarbons in the coolant and the
number (i am not sure whay the number is)
was really high and they came to conclusion that my head gasket needs
to be replaced and they also found that
my radiator needs to be replaced. Now, since they did not have
expertise to change the head gasket, they waved
me good bye suggesting that I should go somewhere else and find some
help. That really got me concerned and I got to another
car place, lets call this Place B.

Place B opened my cars hood and said, this needs radiator change. And I
agreed. And told him about *diagnoses* from Place A.
Place B said, we do not care what Place A says, All I see is a radiator
change and I will start with that. Once I am done with
that I will test to see if we need a gasket change or not. I said
fine....

We did a radiator change, thermostat and stuff and was told that I am
all set. I said, well so we do not need gasket change.
Place B said NO. We don't. Place B added, that we did a pressure test
on the engine it passed it. So, you are all set...

I am not sure what to make of it....

I guess the bug question in my mind is What test is more conclusive
(hydrocarbon in the coolant v/s pressure test)?
If anyone can help me with it, that be great....