Old August 31st 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.tech
Martin Coombs

Default 1970's Range Rover Petrol Pump Cutting Out

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm having a problem with the fuel supply to the engine. Basically the
> engine will run fine until all of a sudden it stutters and stops. If i
> turn the ignition off and on the pump clicks like mad and the engine
> will restart immediately. It doesn't happen often, but the intervals
> are not consistant, sometimes it can be a 5 minute gap, then sometimes
> a 30 min gap.
>
> I dont actually know how the fuel pump 'knows when to pump', and was
> wondering if anyone can enlighten me. Does the pump have some sort of
> mechanical pressure valve which turns it on and off at certain levels?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Mine had something similar, but on a later model. After three weeks of
checking relays and fuses etc. turned out to be the wire to the pump had
broken, but was touching most of the time until we went down a mud hole when
the mud obviously moved the cable and broke the joint, eventually the
sparking made the cable dirty and lost conection.
Worth checking the wire.