Old March 4th 05, 08:49 PM
Steve W.

"Don Stauffer in Minneapolis" > wrote in message
> Our Minnesota Governor is calling for 20% ethanol in all gasoline sold
> ater 2012. I know mfgs don't warranty anything beyond 15%. What
> specific problems does ethanol create?
>
> I know drivability is a concern due to lower vapor pressure, but E85
> cars here in Minnesota seem to do okay, so even 15% gasoline in

mixture
> seems to provide enough high vapor pressure stuff.
>
> At what point does FI and engine control computer need to start

changing
> mixture? I will be needing to buy a new car in a year or two, and I

am
> afraid I'll buy something that will not work well after the mandated

20%
> ethanol becomes all I can find at pumps. Since I generally keep a

car
> for eight to ten years, this is a concern.
>
> Would a car capable of 20% have to have a lot of the stuff that is on
> E85 cars?

Yes, Alcohol is VERY corrosive and will cause LOT's of problems in
vehicles not designed for it. Sound's like your Gov is a moron, I would
write a nice letter to him and to a few papers about who is going to
provide repairs to vehicles damaged by the fuel.

The E85 vehicles have stainless fuel lines, different injectors and
different programming. Also keep in mind that a vehicle will burn
roughly twice as much alcohol as gasoline. So your mileage with 20% will
be about 2 mpg lower than with straight gasoline.

--
Steve Williams