Old October 3rd 04, 10:06 AM
Frank Kemper

"Chip BROWN" > haute in die Tasten:

> You need to drive it to figure that out. I have found out that you will
> either love the SMG or hate them. It is an aquired taste.

Besides this, BMW has improved SMG over the years. From what I have read
the early SMG (and a 1998 model is early) is inferior to a stick - and it
will require a competent mechanic in case you have trouble with it. I would
not buy a six year old performance car with the first generation of such a
gearbox. Of course your choice may be different, if - for example - your
girlfriend or wife is not able to handle a manual gearbox at all.

Frank

Citroën Xantia - Made in Trance