Old December 9th 04, 11:34 AM

whatever wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
> > I'd be interested in seeing what was done and how much was

billed..
> > would you mind posting the information? If you're willing. please
> > include your location.

> Hi Jim,
> I can't, the bill's like 3 pages long, I don't have time to type it

all
> out, it's out in the glove compartment, etc. Some of the stuff that
> was done was new front brakes and new rear struts (or maybe the other
> way around, can't remember) and an alignment. The charges that my
> boss's mechanic was raising his eyebrows over were things like,

"Look,
> he charged $14 for this fluid, I would've just thrown that in for
> free." Sorry I can't give more details right now. Oh, and I live in
> Mass. Also, a few other people asked:

Understood about no time.. <grin>... we got 'volunteered' to host
Christmas this year..

Anyway.. I was curious to see the charges to tell if the prices were
actually reasonable, high, or outrageous. On one of our vehicles, this
year alone we've replaced both lower control arms, all 4 struts, front
brakes and rotors, head gasket, tires, and stuff I'm sure I'm
forgetting.. currently pricing a new convertible top. That's gonna be
$1700 all by itself. If we paid to have all the work done ourselves I'm
sure it'd be over $2800.. so in the abstract the amount you've
mentioned is certainly possible to spend.

Best advice I can give is to find a good mechanic and trust them.. WRT
your boss's mechanic.. as a rule I try not to badmouth other shops
unless they are clearly, completely, obviously in the wrong.. not
saying that's what they were doing; just making a comment.

Hope this helps.. I've used my alloted time this morning <g>.. ask if
you've got any questions..

Jim