Old February 2nd 08, 08:20 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

Default dead battery and more, advice?

> wrote in message
>I have just come inside from trying to start my car. The problem is,
> not only is my battery dead (new bat 2 years ago), but I can not open
> my doors manually. Audi claims that when the battery is dead, one is
> able to open the doors manually (like every other car out there).
> However, my 2000 A4 is not living-up to these claims. Has anyone heard
> of this before? Is it more than my battery? I would like to get an
> idea of whether I need to take it to the dealer, or simply get a new
> battery, before I call AAA to break into my car and give me a jump.
> Thanks...

you have managed to get inside the vehicle to attempt to start
it..........you obviously did with the remote. at this time, buying a new
battery would be a good bet and probably as costly as the slim Jim man.

my new, 2 year old, Vitara battery we TU.............the dealer replaced it
after a few words were exchanged. Their policy being the battery was not
covered under the 3 year warranty..............this being my 5th vehicle
from them, they fitted a new one FOC. So batteries are like all things they
last as long as they last. It only takes 1 cell to go west.

although I can open my A4's doors manually, turning the key takes some
force.........probably more than one would like. With the key mounted in its
plastic fob it does make me cringe a bit but I do it slowly and hold the fob
close to the key blade. I am not sure how this works because it still opens
all the doors so some lecy must be required, perhaps a very minimum.
although your battery seems dead there may be a small charge there.

dj
A4 V6 2.4 1998..........new VARTA battery 2 years ago after same probs as
you.