Old December 29th 04, 09:50 PM
Brent P

In article >, Anthony Giorgianni wrote:

> I'm thinking this through... let me see: If it's okay for YOU not to
> facilitate what you view as bad behavior on the road, we ALL must have the
> same right, correct? I mean if another motorist does something that I feel
> is unsafe or wrong, it should be okay for me not to enable this behavior. In
> fact, if I understand you correctly, I could go so far as to say that I have
> an OBLIGATION not to accommodate the motorist for the sake of me and all
> other drivers. So I'm just thinking here.....

Only if you believe in the typical personal-made-up version of the
vehicle code that is generally practiced in the USA. However, there are
well defined rules of right of way.

It is clear you are yet another one of the kind of driver who still
thinks it's 1932 and everybody lives in a place that looks like rural
kansas. A time where "consideration" and other forms of the whole of
traffic slowing and making way for a particular moron or aggressive
driver just because didn't matter.

The problem is, it's not 1932 anymore and few of us live in areas that
look anything like rural kansas. Vehicle density on the roads is very
high. That means everyone needs to drive for the system of roads, not for
their own selfish desires or the selfish desires of others. Everytime
someone slows to let in a sloth merger, or holds up traffic so someone
can switch from the left turn only lane to the right turn only lane, or
anything else of that nature the ripple goes through traffic and may
persist for HOURS.

The first thing that is apparent driving in Germany is the shift from
Me-first-****-you to driving for the system. When the light turns green
everybody starts moving at about the same time. No sloth, people get
through the intersections. Nobody lollygags merging on to the autobahn,
they use their right foot. Sure there are traffic jams there, I was even
in a few, even those are much more pleasant than here in the USA. The
point is that density of traffic, small roads, not enough space has
driven these behaviors.

Up until recent decades the USA has had lots of space to put cars. It's
now getting to be critical mass in most areas because we simply cannot
keep building more roads (speed of construction and cost in tax dollars)
to compensate for sloth and MFFY any longer. We have to deal with the
roads we have. We have to get the most out of what we have.

The first step to making driving in the USA much more pleasant and much
more efficent is to stop the social tolerance of idiotic sloth
driving. Stop teaching "consideration" of everybody on the interstate
slowing for a sloth merger diving for the left lane where he'll LLB and
teach real consideration of accelerating to speed, merging into a gap,
and staying right except to pass.