Old July 15th 05, 07:26 PM
y_p_w

Ulf wrote:
> y_p_w wrote:
> > Ulf wrote:

> >>Actually, white parking lights/turn signals work pretty good, at least
> >>as long as they're not too close to the headlights. I put clear turn
> >>signal/parking/DRL bulbs on my Camaro (as a temporary fix after the
> >>inspection) last spring, and I almost prefer having white DRLs, seem to
> >>be less confusing IME.

> > Probably not legal. For some strange reason, the front turn signals
> > bulbs in my car are clear behind an amber lens (in the headlight
> > assembly). The rears are amber bulbs in a clear lens. The assemblies
> > are made by different manufacturers.

> Actually, it is. LOL, overengineered..?

FMVSS section 108:

<http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/49cfr571.108.htm>

"TABLE IV-LOCATION OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
[All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger
Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers, and Buses of Less than 80 (2032)
Inches (MM) Overall Width]

**Turn signal lamps - Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles,
trucks, trailers, and buses:
At or near the front-1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.
On the rear-1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
at the same height, and as far apart as practicable."

Table III says the following, but says nothing about location per se:

"Turn signal lamps 2 red or amber; 2 amber"

My reading of European regulations is that currently, rear turn signals
must be amber.

> BTW, saw a new Saab wagon with white taillight lenses today driving home
> in the rain. The light was weird, kind of blurry, like it was filtered
> somehow. The side markers were red LEDs though...

Saw a Saab 9-2X - nicknamed the "Saabaru". Had a combination of white
openings through a mostly red lens. Didn't see it on though.