Old February 25th 05, 10:40 AM
Oliver Hui

Richard,

I've driven Hondas, Subarus, Mazdas, Austins (30 years ago), Toyotas and now
I have a BMW e60. I can only commet based on my own experience, as I can't
say the same for others.

I find that in terms of 'trouble-free' ownership, the Japanese cars that
I've owned always gave me a 'start and go' experience. I would expect to
get into my car, turn the key, and go. Also, I can expect my car to not to
have noises (creaks etc.). For the 30 years I've been driving and owning a
car, I wouldn't expect otherwise (I've been spoiled by the cars I
owned...before my BMW came).

The 'bad' thing about owning a Japanese car is that once the car has passed
4, 5 years (from new), parts start to need replacement. (whether this
applies to a BMW I don't know. I've only had mine for 1 year plus).

Now, the BMW....the car drives great. Much better feel than the Japanese
models I've owned (but then none are in the same market segment as the BMW I
have at present). In terms of control, performance curve, comfort, engine
response, etc. the BMW EXCELS. The item that irritates me are those that
are 'minor' things like cabin noise (little creaks, eeks, clicks etc. that
seems to come and go), and quality - there are certain things that seem to
be not well-built...e.g. one mudflap on the car started to come off
yesterday (never happened to my other cars); I found out that the glue that
was adhering the mud flap to the body has come off. Oh, yes, it is MUCH
more expense to bring the BMW to the shop...in terms of labour (here in Hong
Kong) and parts, as well as annual maintenance plans (which the local BMW
dealer is starting to sell me).

Will I buy another BMW? Don't think so. My next car will be from Japan.
Would I have bought my present e60 had I known (car's been in the shop six
times already)? Don't think so neither.

If you're looking at a Lexus, then go for the Lexus. My friends love their
Lexus and I have never heard any complaints about them.

But then if you want the ego trip and the vanity, then it's another story.
Go for the beemer.

Oliver