Old November 30th 04, 11:52 PM
Rose Faex

OK, final post.

Called DOT NHTSA: recalls are free. There's no way they should get
charged for required work.

Called VW: the recall is legitimate. They will inspect lower tie rods
and replace for free if there's too much wear. However, they will
charge if the owner can't produce a maintenance receipt for the
service where they would've inspected the tie rods after the recall
was issued.

Frankly, I can't see how they can charge. I mean, I really don't
understand the logic, here. If anyone believes they understand how VW
can require you to pay if you can't prove you had it inspected, please
let me know.

Rose