Old June 9th 04, 04:16 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article >,
says...
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:07:41 +0100, MeatballTurbo
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...
> >> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:33:46 +0200, Gordon

> >> Definitely check that the coil is being energised. ours used to do
> >> something simlar. You;d be driving along, and it would just die. You
> >> could re-start it immediately, but you had no idea how long it would
> >> be......
> >>

> >Does this sound like a grounding issue?
> >
> >I thought that when I first read it, but not been mentioned yet.

> Could be I guess. Ground strap to the engine may well have that kind
> of effect.

I know I don't yet own an Alfa, and that while never as bad as portrayed
Alfa electricals are stuff of legend, but I've only ever owned older
cars, and I'm amazed at how some of them have kept running with the main
ground strap from the engine to the chassis being about 3 strands of
left of the original inch wide strap.

And the Saab has it's own problems with heat from the turbo reducing
wiring insulation close by to the consistency of candle wax after 20
years of being slowly grilled everyday.

Normally any malfunction in wiring (after related components have tested
or replaced) usually relates to either a broken wire, or a ground issue.
If it was a physically broken wire then the fault would most likely be
less than intermittent. A bad loose or dirty ground can have just that
effect, as they tend to go at or near where they connect to a common
point, and in many case main ground point/straps/cables aren't as
insulated as the live positives, so if they touch they work, but then
come away and stop.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com