Old February 3rd 05, 09:55 PM
Pete from Boston

John David Galt wrote:
> Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>
>> Maybe so--I don't know much about the regulation of the car market. But I
>> wonder how many people really want stripped cars. Admittedly, I don't
>> hang
>> around with a lot of po' folks, but I only know one eccentric engineer
>> who
>> likes driving around without A/C (in SoCal) or power anything. He
>> recently
>> had to purchase more of a car than he would have liked, when his junker
>> Corolla gave up the ghost, but most people I know like pretty heavily
>> loaded
>> cars. I certainly do--I'm a road geek _and_ a gadget freak.

> I like mine loaded too, with features that actually do useful things
> (a nice radio, automatic transmission, air bags and ABS, and power
> steering). But I had to special-order my car to get it without a
> sunroof (they leak), and was not even allowed to get it without power
> windows and keyless entry, both of which I'd pay extra not to have.

Having a 15-year-old car as I do, I appreciate the desire to cut down on
bells and whistles that are only going to break down the road, and
instead putting that money into a car that'll outlast all that cheap
circuitry. My power locks, for example, lasted until the car's 9th year
(luckily they are redundant).

But power windows is one of those things I don't know if I could ever go
back to the days without.