Old July 14th 05, 08:10 AM
Jim Warman

I shiver at the mere mention of Cambodian Tire....

The car has a belt rather than a chain..... I can't recall the factory recommendation but, given that the belt is (if it is the original) 15 years old, there is cause for concern. It's not a matter of "IF" it will fail... it's a matter of "WHEN".

Here's where it gets cloudy.... we know that Cambodian tire is built on upselling... If the car isn't having any current drivability concerns, I would say that changing the belt (again, I don't know the cars history) is likely good preventive care. If a running problem exists, cam and intermediate shaft timing can be checked without getting too intrusive and cam timing shouldn't be too great of an issue. Far more cam timing problems come from mis-reading the timing marks that any other source... failed belts will result in a no start or a stalled/no restart condition.

Double whanny... if the advice is good, she'll wonder why she's your "ex"... if the advice is bad... well, let's just leave it unsaid 8^)

HTH

"BradandBrooks" > wrote in message news:JPlBe.1951413$Xk.96133@pd7tw3no...
Jim...

I turn to you for advice, again...

1990 2.3 LX... timing chain or belt? I've always thought chain but I'm hearing belt???

What's the time to replace this item, and more importantly, is there a replacement interval? I can't find one.

Do these things go or last forever?

Reason I ask is I'm trying to be nice to my ex who is getting info from mechanics at CDN Tire...

Thx!

Brad