Old July 9th 05, 05:24 PM
John David Galt

The Real Bev wrote:
> What about at freeway speeds with the usual freeway traffic and YOUR number
> comes up? I guess we'd all be doomed then and it probably wouldn't matter.
> We don't have much livestock, but every once in a while a dog makes it up onto
> the freeway...

I commuted for a year on CA-17, an almost-freeway (divided mountain highway
with freeway speeds and no shoulder, but a few intersections) where deer and
collisions with deer are very common. From what I saw, if "your number's
up" it's up. The driver will usually survive the hit, but his car won't.

But there's no effective defense except (a) be lucky enough to have the deer
appear and start crossing a block or more ahead of you, rather than jump out
right in front of you, or (b) drive a big rig. (An SUV may help if the deer
is relatively small, but for real protection you'd need enough of a "roll
cage" that the deer can't reach the windshield.)

In my view the real solution to this problem is to kill off the free ranging
deer and all other similar sized wildlife.