Old May 22nd 05, 01:05 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article >,
laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE > wrote:

> http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...hilelaws0517ma
> y17,0,6853886.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey
>
> By JEFF LINKOUS
> Associated Press Writer
>
> May 17, 2005, 9:20 PM EDT
>

> TRENTON, N.J. -- The hometown of a little girl whose slaying prompted
> the creation of sex offender registration laws nationwide passed a
> measure Tuesday night that establishes the state's first
> "pedophile-free zones" near places where children congregate.
>
> The Hamilton Township Council passed the ordinance by a 5-0 margin,
> said Mayor Glen Gilmore. It bars anyone convicted of a sex offense
> against a child from living within 2,500 feet of schools, parks and
> playgrounds in the Mercer County community.

I live in NJ about 45 miles south of Trenton. That law was a hot topic
one day on a local talk radio station. Trust me, that law will be thrown
out when it hits the courts? Why? Because it effectively banishes
pedophiles from all of Hamilton Council because it is damned near
impossible to live further than 2,500 feet of a school, park, or
playground there.

That law and Megan's law avoid the more difficult question. If
pedophiles cannot be trusted to live near children, why are they allowed
out of jail in the first place?