Old February 22nd 05, 06:08 PM
Buck

Claire Petersky wrote:
> Scott in previous posts has expressed concern about people smelling

bad
> after some form of exercise. Frank, it might be true in Texas where

Scott is
> from. Something about the diet, maybe?

Naw, it ain't the food. It *is* pretty hot and can get quite humid in
the eastern half of the state.

However, I lived there (and commuted by bicycle) for many years and
didn't have the stinky sweat problem. In fact, I haven't had a shower
waiting for me at work either. I just have a cool-down period in front
of a fan, a clean change of clothes, and a place to hang up the wet
ones to dry. As a student, I didn't even go that far - just stayed near
some moving air until I dried. My cohorts in grad school would have
told me if I was odiferous (they told another guy who got sweaty
walking from his car).

The secret? Shower before you head to work, clean your clothes properly
before wearing them, wear anti-perspirant instead of deodorant, and get
dry as quickly as possible when you get where you are going.

Smells come from bacterial growth (supplemented by the foods we eat, of
course). Keep yourself clean and dry and you eliminate the source of
the smell. It works for me!

-Buck