Old July 1st 04, 05:04 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: Colonel Tupperware >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:21:10 +0100
> Subject: Alloy Wheels
>
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:13:08 +0100, Tom Boltwood >
> wrote:
>
>> I've just come into some 164 3.0 Super alloys. However, my TSpark is 4 stud
>> and the 3.0 was 5 Stud. Stupidly, I assumed that 164s would all have the
>> same wheel fixings. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wheels, so can
>> anyone tell me:
>>
>> a) why they have different stud patterns on these models

> Because they do?
> 5 stud wheels are considered better on fast cars?
> Or the usual Italian answer; because the Italians prefer form over
> function?
> I find it odd that the same basic model has a different number of
> studs. Well not odd, just silly.
>>
>> b) if there's anything I can do to get these wheels on my car.

> Fit 5 stud hubs.
> Preferably from the same car as the wheels came from.
> Are they the same size?

After much searching, new hubs seems to be the answer. It all depends on
whether I will need new discs and calipers with the new hubs. A bloke at my
local garage reckoned it would cost a fortune, but if I can get the hubs off
a scrap 164 V6 it shouldn't be too hard to swap them over should it?
(assuming that the discs and calipers aren't a problem).