Old December 2nd 04, 03:02 AM
Captian Coleman

Default Chirping 97 explorer

Hi,
I've got a 1997 2WD 4L OHV V-6 explorer with about 105K on the odometer.
Yesterday my truck developed a chirping that is detectable at low RPM and
speeds up with engine and/or driving speed.
My first thought was of course like most, serpentine belt. The belt checked
out OK so I decided to take the belt off and briefly run the engine without
it. The chirp still was present. So that ruled out all the appliances
running off the belt in front of the engine. (power steering, compressor,
alternator etc.)
Using piece of hose as a stethescope, I traced the sound to the back of the
engine. Stumped, I googled chirping explorers and got the usual belt
problem references plus a few to the "flex plate" and the IACV. Using my
hose-scope, I know it's not the IACV. Engine and transmission oil level are
also normal.
Is there anything else I should be considering besides the "flex plate?"
Some of the information I found says that Ford began producing a beefier
flex plate in later models, but I don't know if my EX is new enough to
contain the heavier duty design. I'm assuming changing a flex plate will
involve dropping the transmission. Is there a way to take a look at a flex
plate w/o dropping the transmission?
All replies appreciated.